Religious accommodation questions often present unique challenges for employers who are faced with determining whether they should bend their time off or dress code rules to accommodate an employee’s religious beliefs and practices. For example, a Muslim employee may request… continue
About Beth ZollerI am the legal editor for the discrimination, affirmative action, harassment, retaliation, employee privacy, and employee handbooks/work rules/employee conduct content in the employee management section of XpertHR US. Prior to joining XpertHR, I practised law for more than 10 years representing employers with respect to employment discrimination and harassment claims, contractual disputes, restrictive covenant issues, family and medical leave, wage and hour disputes and a variety of other employment-related claims.
Some of the topics I cover for XpertHR include:
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
Social Media at Work
Author archive | Beth Zoller
Illinois employers should take into account that several new developments have hit the Land of Lincoln that will have a significant impact on workplace policies, practices and procedures. What’s more, it’s not just the state of Illinois that has enacted… continue
An employee handbook is an important communication tool between an employer and its employees and a valuable resource for setting forth workplace standards to guide employee behavior and performance expectations.
A well-written and compliant employee handbook may also be used… continue
When it comes to state and municipal employment legislation, the Empire State and the Big Apple are leading the way in seeking to level the playing field between employers and employees by ensuring workers a fair wage, added leave protections… continue
If things get quiet around the workplace this summer, it may be a good idea to revisit your employee handbook and check out policies that may need to be reviewed and/or revised based on recent changes in federal, state and… continue
With the onset of summer, rising temperatures and longer days, employers may want to consider implementing a summer dress code as an inexpensive way to improve employee productivity and morale and make employees feel more comfortable when the heat hits.… continue
There is glaring evidence that the gender wage gap persists, and that women still lag behind their male counterparts when it comes to workplace compensation.
Despite the fact that women are more likely to graduate college than men, and approximately … continue
Drive down seemingly any major street in suburbia, and you are bound to see a McDonald’s, Dunkin Donuts, Subway or 7- Eleven. Franchises are everywhere and a business model for an employer seeking to have the independence of a small… continue
Managing a pregnant employee can be one of the most challenging aspects of employee management for employers and HR. While it is generally well known that it is unlawful to discriminate against a worker based on pregnancy, childbirth or related… continue
On March 8, 2017, International Women’s Day, women all over the US donned red to celebrate “A Day Without Women” and highlight the economic power and significance that women have in the US and global economies and also call attention… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Why Paid Parental Leave Is on the Rise September 20, 2017
- Major Disruptions Will Soon Shape the Future of Benefits September 19, 2017
- 9 Key Tips for Religious Accommodation in the Workplace September 14, 2017
- 5 Ways HR Can Promote Volunteerism in Hurricane Irma’s Wake September 12, 2017
- A 9/11 Look at Employee Political Extremism September 11, 2017
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Lou. We appreciate your we...
- Lou charles: "For the group to qualify as a hate or extremist ...
- Ed Burch: Sounds like a snowflake tantrum to me. For years w...
- Robert Sanchez: Gambling in sports is legal in many developed coun...
- angela alma: #david your discussion is appreciated, managing em...