Employers like noncompete agreements because they can restrict employees from working for a competitor not only during employment, but for a certain period of time after they leave the company. It’s an employer’s way to safeguard its position in its… continue
About Melissa SilverI am the legal editor for the employment offer, terms of employment, new hire paperwork, negligent hiring, onboarding and orientation, recordkeeping and minimizing liability content in the recruiting and hiring chapter of XpertHR US. Prior to joining XpertHR, I practiced law for 10 years. During the last eight years, I engaged in private practice and focused on the defense of clients in cases involving harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims, as well as the enforcement of restrictive covenants. I have successfully litigated cases before the New Jersey Superior Court, US District Court, the EEOC and the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights.
Author archive | Melissa Silver
Although the US and UK and legal systems share similar roots, employees in these countries are entitled to far different protections.
In a recent XpertHR webinar, Philadelphia employment attorney Jonathan A. Segal, who heads the Duane Morris Institute, and London… continue
What makes millennial workers different from those of other generations? Are they the spoiled, self-centered, instant gratification workers as sometimes portrayed, or are they the team-oriented, multi-taskers who are tech-savvy? While it’s possible they could have all of these attributes,… continue
While advances in technology have improved the workplace by increasing productivity, these advances have also become a double-edged sword.
Employees no longer need to be physically in their work location in order to send an email, attend a telephone conference… continue
Ready or not, the time has come for all employers to use the new Form I-9. While employers were still permitted to use the prior form until January 21, 2017, the new form must now be used to verify the… continue
With various employment-related ordinances, such as minimum wage and paid sick leave laws trending on a local level, employers are probably wondering, is my city next? Maybe, maybe not.
While local employment laws may be on the rise, state… continue
No employer wants to run afoul of new hire paperwork rules. But to ensure compliance, HR needs to be aware of the many state rules that go beyond federal law, including posting requirements plus certain paperwork and written notices that… continue
The UK’s surprising vote last month to leave the European Union caused concern on both sides of the Atlantic with its potential implications resonating on a global scale. Multinational employers are now questioning what Brexit means for their business and… continue
What company wouldn’t want their competitor’s employees? They already have the specialized industry knowledge and skills that can help your company be successful. However, hiring a direct competitor’s employees raises many concerns, especially if that employee is subject to an… continue
While some similarities exist between US and UK employment laws, there are fundamental differences that global employers need to be aware of when considering terminating an employee.
In a recent XpertHR webinar, Philadelphia employment attorney Jonathan A. Segal, who heads… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- New York Employment Law Changes Expand Worker Rights and Employer Obligations July 24, 2017
- Predictive Analytics in HR: Part One – Beware the Risks! July 20, 2017
- 3 Things to Know When Your Boss Says…. Show Me the Money! July 18, 2017
- 6 Dos and Don’ts for Avoiding Social Media Minefields When Recruiting July 17, 2017
- 5 CEO Ethics Firings and How HR Can Help Prevent Them July 11, 2017
- Robert Sanchez: Gambling in sports is legal in many developed coun...
- angela alma: #david your discussion is appreciated, managing em...
- Alicia Smith: Hi Henry, Thanks for your kind comments about m...
- David Weisenfeld: We use WordPress. Thanks for your interest....
- Henry @ ISL: Hi Alicia, hugely entertaining blog post. One qui...