About Rena PirsosI am the legal editor for the payroll section of XpertHR US. I have a law degree and more than 25 years of experience as a writer and editor of tax and business publications for an audience of both legal and non-legal professionals.
Prior to joining XpertHR, I was Managing Editor, Payroll Information Resources, for the American Payroll Association. I have also worked at other well-known legal publishing companies, including CCH, WGL/Thompson Professional Publishing and Prentice Hall/Simon and Schuster.
Some of the topics I cover at XpertHR include:
Taxation of Employee Benefits
Taxation of Employee Compensation
Depositing and Reporting Withheld Taxes
Payment of Wages
Unemployment Insurance Tax (FUTA/SUTA)
International Payroll Issues
Author archive | Rena Pirsos
Rena Pirsos December 12, 2017
During the holidays, many employers opt to give gifts to employees and host parties as a gesture of good will, a reward for achievements during the past year, or a morale booster to encourage continued good performance in the year… continue
Rena Pirsos September 26, 2017
Almost the entire US federal tax system hinges on one little form – Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. As an employee, I take for granted that my employer will correctly complete my W-2, get my copy to me on… continue
Rena Pirsos August 3, 2017
An overpayment of wages can occur for many different reasons, such as inaccurate or delayed payroll processing, inaccurate accruals upon an employee’s termination, payroll system failure or simple clerical error. Regardless of why the overpayment occurred, the employee is not… continue
Rena Pirsos April 7, 2017
Employees quit their jobs or get fired every day in the working world. Despite the commonality of it, separations from employment often end up being a compliance challenge for employers. That’s because strict laws require employers to be ready to… continue
Rena Pirsos November 16, 2016
Even though tax year 2016 did not see major legislative changes related to payroll processing, the significant effects of the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015 is undoubtedly on the minds of all payroll professionals. The PATH… continue
Rena Pirsos September 12, 2016
The employer requirement to offer employees the option of purchasing commuter transit benefits on a pre-tax basis via payroll deduction took effect this year on January 1 in two major metropolitan cities – New York City and Washington, DC. Perhaps… continue
Rena Pirsos February 29, 2016
You probably know that today is Leap Day and that 2016 is a leap year, which occurs every four years. According to 5th century Irish tradition, leap year is a good year for women to make marriage proposals to men.… continue
Rena Pirsos December 22, 2015
California employers will need to hit the ground running as soon as the New Year’s ball drops to ensure their compliance with a broad range of laws taking effect January 1, 2016. Rather than making the same old trite resolutions… continue
Rena Pirsos November 30, 2015
At this time of year, HR and payroll professionals are currently busy filing their usual year-end employment tax returns and making system changes for 2016. But on top of that, employers in some states will have to deal with the… continue
Rena Pirsos October 26, 2015
Paying employees via paycard is a relatively new electronic method of wage payment that many employers have gradually embraced. The main reason for the growing popularity of these pre-loaded debit cards is that they fill the need for an… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Can Embracing March Madness Improve Employee Engagement? March 15, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: Becoming an ADA Accommodation Expert March 13, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: How Employers Deal with Marijuana, Opioids and Other Drugs in the Workplace March 12, 2018
- Paid Leave Podcast Shines Spotlight on Growing Trend March 6, 2018
- Machines vs. Humans in the Age of AI: Finding the Right Workplace Balance March 5, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence