Every now and then a news story pops up illustrating the importance of aligning corporate, HR and PR strategies. These stories are often largely negative, painting companies in a bad light while we play Monday morning quarterback. The blood and… continue
Tag Archives | background checks
In this age of digital information with smartphones, smartwatches and cloud computing, data breaches have become all too common. These breaches create serious risk for employers and employees alike, not to mention customers, who may lose valuable information and suffer… continue
More than 90 percent of employers use background checks to screen job applicants at some point in the hiring process. But a new trend is placing limits on when many employers can seek criminal history information.
Banning the Box
A roundup of workplace trends and legal developments to keep HR ahead of the curve
The National Labor Relations Board is at it again and this time, it may just have rocked the entire business world. On August 27, the… continue
Are there any reasons why an employer would not talk about disruptive workplace behavior as part of a reference check? A reporter asked me that question in the wake of the Virginia shooting deaths of reporter Alison Parker and cameraman… continue
More than 90% of employers conduct background checks on job applicants at some point in the hiring process. A failure to do so today could lead to a negligent hiring lawsuit tomorrow. But employers that fail to pay attention to… continue
I had the good fortune to speak “virtually” to HR professionals across the US last week about key preemployment screening and testing trends as part of the XpertHR webinar series. If you missed my presentation, the good news is it’s… continue
The recent firing of Rutgers University basketball coach Mike Rice, but only after a video surfaced of him physically hitting players and hurling repeated homophobic epithets at them, is a virtual primer of what NOT to do from an employment… continue
Notre Dame football captain Manti Te’o had many shedding tears last fall when he told a live NBC television audience about his girlfriend’s death from leukemia and its impact on him. Some credited the story with helping inspire the team’s… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Leadership Competencies: Case Studies of US Presidents February 17, 2017
- New French Law Seeks Work-Life Balance: Would US Ever Follow Suit? February 13, 2017
- HR Intel: Don’t Let #deleteuber Happen to Your Company February 8, 2017
- 3 Ways to Use Digital Platforms for Recruiting February 6, 2017
- Romance Heating Up the Workplace? Answers to Employers’ Burning Questions February 3, 2017
- Alicia Smith: Hi Henry, Thanks for your kind comments about m...
- David Weisenfeld: We use WordPress. Thanks for your interest....
- Henry @ ISL: Hi Alicia, hugely entertaining blog post. One qui...
- Jack: Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform y...
- Linda Pophal: You raise important points. I think the pace of ch...