Municipalities are leading the way in expanding employee rights. So, if updating an employee handbook is not challenging enough, employers now find themselves trying to keep up with municipalities stretching their own legislating power to carve out rights and benefits… continue
Tag Archives | employee handbooks
With 2016 fast approaching, an employer should be sure to take the time to review and update its employee handbook so that it remains legally compliant. There have been a number of significant legal changes on the federal, state and… continue
With the holiday season well underway, here are six items we think should be on every HR department’s to-do list for the new year.
1. Update Your Workplace Policies and Employee Handbooks
There have been a lot of developments at… continue
An employee handbook can be a critical tool not only in setting forth the company’s values and culture, but in helping an employer stay out of court. In a recent XpertHR webinar, Littler Mendelson employment attorneys Christopher Cobey and Marissa… continue
A roundup of workplace trends and legal developments to keep HR ahead of the curve
Mega-contractor Haliburton will pay dearly for FLSA missteps, to the tune of over $18.3 million. In what the DOL said was one of the “largest… continue
California employers face a host of unique employment law issues at both the state and local levels that must be taken into account when developing, implementing and enforcing employee handbooks. Littler Mendelson employment attorneys Chris Cobey and Ben Emmert, of… continue
On March 18, the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) General Counsel released a report prompted by recent cases involving challenges to employee handbook policies. The report notes that even well-intentioned rules that prohibit employees from engaging in protected conduct, or… continue
A clear and conspicuous disclaimer is an essential part of an employee handbook. Not only can it protect an employer’s legitimate business interests, but it can also help to avoid costly litigation and to save an employer’s time, money and… continue
A recent XpertHR webinar features employee handbook issues and reveals some rather interesting findings. Presented by Littler Mendelson employment attorney Chris Cobey, the webinar explores a multitude of legal trends, including paid sick leave, minimum wage changes and more. During… continue
A recent 6th Circuit Court of Appeals case provides employers with important lessons when it comes to employee handbook policies, in particular their family and medical leave policy. Employees are eligible for leave under the federal Family and Medical Leave… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- XpertHR Puts Users in the Driver’s Seat on Product Development April 25, 2017
- State Laws Aim to Minimize Joint Employment Liability for Franchisors April 24, 2017
- HR Intel: The Great HR “Reset” April 13, 2017
- HR Challenge: Managing and Accommodating Pregnant Employees April 10, 2017
- Paying Final Wages: 5 Key Steps to Doing It Right April 7, 2017
- Alicia Smith: Hi Henry, Thanks for your kind comments about m...
- David Weisenfeld: We use WordPress. Thanks for your interest....
- Henry @ ISL: Hi Alicia, hugely entertaining blog post. One qui...
- Jack: Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform y...
- Linda Pophal: You raise important points. I think the pace of ch...