Alternative Dispute Resolution: Massachusetts
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Susan Borowski, Reliable Writing Services
- Either party in a private employer dispute may petition for arbitration to the Department of Labor Relations, or submit the controversy to a local board of arbitration. See Arbitration in the Private Sector.
- Massachusetts has a special provision for disputes between certain health care facilities and nurses. See Disputes in Health Care Facilities.
- Massachusetts law has specific provisions for handling public sector grievances. See Grievances in the Public Sector.
- The parties to a dispute in the public sector may choose to use mediation to resolve the dispute. See Public Employer Mediation.
- Both public and private employers can choose to submit to binding arbitration. See Binding Arbitration.