Disabilities (ADA): Vermont
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- In addition to the federal equal opportunity laws, Vermont employers must comply with the state antidiscrimination law, the Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act. See Disability Discrimination in Vermont.
- Vermont includes alcoholism and drug addiction in its definition of disability, but provides an exception for current drug and/or alcohol abusers when such abuse affects their job performance or the safety of other persons or property. See What Is a Disability?
- The Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act applies to employers employing one or more individual. See Covered Employers.
- Vermont law contains a specific prohibition against requiring employees to submit to genetic testing. See Vermont's Genetic Testing in Employment Law.
- Vermont permits the use of medical marijuana. See Vermont Medical Marijuana Law.