EEO - Affirmative Action: Tennessee
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: James L. Holt, Jr., Jackson, Shields, Yeiser & Holt
- Tennessee Law does not require private employers adopt an affirmative action program. See Affirmative Acton for Private Employers.
- The Tennessee Human Rights Commission does not consider affirmative action plans discriminatory as long as the plan has been filed and approved by the Commission. See Affirmative Action for Private Employers.
- The Department of Labor and Workforce Development and related programs and services shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, or sex. See Nondiscrimination by the Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- Various municipal and local laws address discrimination in employment. See Municipal Law.
- Tennessee allows employers to apply a veterans preference in hiring and promotion.See Veterans' Preference.