EEO - Harassment: Hawaii
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Anna Elento-Sneed, Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing
- Hawaii law provides greater protections and higher damages than federal law. See Hawaii Law Against Harassment.
- Hawaii's law is enforced by the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission. See Hawaii Law Against Harassment.
- Harassment charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission are automatically filed with the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, and vice versa. See Filing Procedures.
- Sexual harassment complainants may bypass the agency procedures and file their claims directly in state court within two years of the last incident. See Filing Procedures.
- Individuals may be held personally liable for harassment. See Liability.