Employee Discipline: Oregon
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Nancy Cooper, Garvey Schubert Barer
- Oregon has numerous protected classes, which prevent discrimination against certain employees. See Oregon Protected Classes and Discrimination.
- Oregon has special whistleblower protections. Other laws also include retaliation protections. See Whistleblower and Retaliation Protections.
- Oregon law limits the use of polygraph and other tests. See Polygraph and Other Tests.
- Oregon has enacted privacy protections for employee social media accounts. See Social Media Privacy.
- Oregon has numerous leaves of absence that can be accessed by employees. See Leaves of Absence.
- Oregon employers are severely restricted on self-help when faced with employee theft. See Employee Theft.
- Oregon law restricts smoking in workplaces and encourages a ban on e-cigarettes in the workplace. See E-Cigarettes and Tobacco Use.
- Oregon law does not prevent drug testing for private employees. See Drug and Alcohol Tests.
- Oregon courts interpret noncompetition agreements fairly narrowly. See Violation of Restrictive Covenants.