Employee Handbooks - Work Rules - Employee Conduct: California
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jennifer K. Achtert, Fisher Phillips
- California requires employers to put a number of policies and procedures in place. See Guidelines for Policies, Procedures, and Work Rules; Work Rules Concerning Political and Charitable Activities and Employee Expression of Views; Work Rules Concerning Personal Relationships and Personal Activities.
- California regulates smoking, alcohol and drug use. See Work Rules Concerning Smoking, Alcohol, and Drug Use.
- California has detailed requirements regarding meal and rest breaks, which must be accurately reflected in employer policies. See Work Rules Regarding Employee Work Schedules and Shifts.
- California has several state-specific leave requirements and requires employers to provide certain types of leave to eligible employees. See Work Rules Regarding Leaves of Absence.
- Rules concerning breastfeeding in the workplace must comply with California law. See Work Rules Regarding Breastfeeding Women.