Employee Privacy: Iowa
The below content should be reviewed in conjunction with the in-depth federal coverage of this topic provided above.
- Iowa recognizes invasion of privacy claims. See Common Law Causes of Action.
- Employees may also bring defamation, intentional interference with contract, and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims against an employer. See Other Common Law Theories For Employer Liability.
- Iowa has several statues regulating privacy rights, including the Interception of Electronic Communications law. See Wiretapping and Eavesdropping.
- Employers that provide references may be subject to civil liability under various Iowa statutes and common law causes of action; however, Iowa law does provide some protections for employers. See References.
- Employees have a right to inspect their personnel files. See Personnel Files.
- Iowa law regulates genetic testing, drug testing, HIV/AIDS testing. See Genetic Testing; Drug Testing and AIDS/HIV Testing.
- Iowa law addressees polygraph testing. See Polygraph Testing.