Employment Offer: New Hampshire
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Christine P. Corrigan, CPC Writing Services
- New Hampshire law requires employers to provide written offer letters to prospective employees, as well as written notice of any changes in employment terms. See Offer Letters.
- In New Hampshire, in the absence of a written employment agreement, employment is presumptively at-will. See Employment At-Will.
- New Hampshire has a credit reporting law that is similar to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, requiring employers to make certain disclosures and obtain written authorization from an applicant, before obtaining a consumer report regarding the applicant. See Background Checks.
- New Hampshire permits any individual to request and receive a copy of the criminal conviction record of another who provides a written authorization permitting the disclosure. In addition, school districts are required to conduct criminal background checks on applicants. See Criminal History Checks.
- New Hampshire law prohibits employers from employing an alien (foreign national) whom the employer knows is not a citizen of the United States or does not have appropriate documentation authorizing him or her to work. See Citizen's Protection.
- Any conditions that must be satisfied prior to beginning employment, such as the execution of any restrictive covenants, should be explained in the written employment offer. See Restrictive Covenants.
- New Hampshire employers are prohibited from requiring applicants or employees to pay for medical examination or the cost of furnishing any records required by the employer as a condition of employment. See Conditional Employment Offers.
- If an employer determines that it must withdraw or rescind an employment offer, it must do so, in writing, as quickly as practicable. An employer may face potential liability for promissory estoppel if an employee has taken action in reliance on the employment offer. See Withdrawal of Employment Offers.