Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Michael G. Congiu, Littler
- Illinois permits same-sex couples to marry. Illinois employers falling under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) must provide family medical leave to otherwise eligible same-sex spouses. See Family and Medical Leave.
- Under the Illinois Family Military Leave Act, there are different standards that apply to employers with between 15 and 50 employees and employers with more than 50 employees. See Illinois Family Military Leave Act.
- Although not necessarily a required leave, pregnancy, childbirth or child-rearing related leaves must be offered on equivalent bases by employers with 15 or more employees. See Pregnancy Disability and Child-Rearing Leave.
- Employers with 50 or more employees must provide up to two weeks of unpaid bereavement leave for the death of a child. SeeChild Bereavement Leave.
- An employee may use personal sick leave benefits to care for a covered family member. See Employee Sick Leave Act.
- Employees in Chicago and Cook County may be entitled to paid sick leave. See Local Ordinances.