Health Care Benefits: Arizona
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Paige A. Martin, Kutak Rock LLP
- Arizona chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal in Arizona. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Small businesses in Arizona are eligible to purchase small group health insurance. See Health Care Benefits and Coverage for Small Employers.
- Group health plans must provide certain maternity and dependent coverage. See Coverage for Newborn and Adopted Children; Coverage for Disabled Children; Maternity Benefits.
- Group health plans that provide coverage for mastectomies must provide coverage for reconstructive breast surgery and mammogram screening. See Reconstructive Breast Surgery; Mammogram Screening.
- Certain limitations exist with respect to the application of lifetime limits on mental health coverage. See Mental Health Benefits.
- Group health plans that cover prescription drugs must also cover prescription drugs for cancer treatment, certain medical foods and contraceptives. See Prescription Drug Coverage.
- Group health plans may not deny coverage for autism spectrum disorder. See Autism Spectrum Disorder Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain other specified illnesses, diseases, services and medical and surgical procedures. See Diabetes Coverage; Surgical Benefits; Home Health Services; Diagnostic Services; Outpatient Services.