Health Care Benefits: Louisiana
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Louisiana chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Louisiana health mandates apply to group health insurance, accident plans and HMOs. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll, must include coverage for newborns. See Dependent Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide basic health care for children. See Basic Health Care Services - Children.
- Group health plans must cover certain women's health benefits. See Women's Health Care Services.
- Group health plans must cover prostate cancer screening for men. See Prostate Cancer Screening.
- Group health plans must provide mental health benefits and parity. See Mental Health Benefits and Parity.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for diabetes. See Diabetes - Related Services and Supplies.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain specified health providers. See Coverage for Specified Providers.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, services and supplies. See Other Coverage Requirements.