Health Care Benefits: Maryland
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Maryland chose to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Maryland health coverage mandates apply to commercial health insurance contracts, policies and plans, health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and nonprofit health service plans that provide hospital, medical, or surgical benefits. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll must also cover newborns and certain other dependents. See Dependent Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide basic health care for children. See Basic Health Care Services - Children.
- Group health plans must cover certain women's health benefits See Women's Health Care Benefits.
- Group health plans must cover prostate cancer screening for men. See Prostate Cancer Screening.
- Group health plans must provide mental health benefits. See Mental Health Benefits.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, diseases and medical and surgical procedures. See Diabetes Coverage; Treatment of Morbid Obesity; Other Coverage Requirements.