Health Care Benefits: Michigan
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Michigan chose to establish a state-federal partnership Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Michigan health mandates apply to health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and fully insured health benefit plans and policies that employers purchase from health insurance issuers. See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll must include coverage for newborns and disabled children, regardless of age. See Dependent Coverage.
- Health maintenance organizations (HMOs) must provide basic health care services. See Basic Health Care Services - HMOs.
- Group health plans must cover certain women's health benefits. See Women's Health Care.
- Group health plans must provide certain coverage for substance abuse. See Substance Abuse Coverage.
- Health plans must provide coverage for certain services and supplies. See Ambulance and Emergency Services; Diabetes-Related Services and Supplies; Prescription Drugs for Cancer Treatment.