Health Care Benefits: Mississippi
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jason T. Marsh, Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Mississippi chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health benefit plans that provide benefits for family members must provide an option for the insured to elect coverage for immunizations for each newly born child of the insured. See Child Immunization.
- Group health plans are required to provide coverage for annual screenings by low-dose mammography. See Mammography Coverage.
- Group health plans that provide anesthesia benefits must offer benefits for anesthesia and associated facility charges for dental care under certain circumstances. See Coverage for Anesthesia and Other Charges for Dental Care.
- Group health plans in Mississippi must cover diabetes treatment. See Diabetes Coverage.
- Group health policies in Mississippi must include benefits for the care and treatment of alcoholism and mental illness. See Alcoholism Treatment; Coverage for Mental Illness.
- Group health plans that provide coverage for family members must also provide coverage with respect to a newly born child of the insured from the moment of birth. See Coverage from Birth.
- Health plans that provide coverage for prescription drugs may not exclude coverage of any drug used for the treatment of cancer. See Cancer Drug Exclusions.