Health Care Benefits: Pennsylvania
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jayne Zanglein, Western Carolina University
- Pennsylvania chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal in Pennsylvania. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Pennsylvania health mandates apply to group accident and sickness policies issued by insurance companies, hospital plan corporations, hospital service plan corporations and health maintenance organizations. (HMOs). See Scope of Mandates.
- Group health plans that allow dependents to enroll, must include coverage for newborns. See Dependent Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide basic health care for children. See Basic Health Care Services - Children.
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) must provide basic health care for adults. See Basic Health Care Services - Adults.
- Group health plans must cover certain women's health benefits. See Women's Health Care Services.
- Group health plans must provide mental health benefits and parity. See Mental Health Benefits and Parity.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, services and supplies. See Colonoscopy Coverage; Diabetes Coverage; Emergency Care; Prescription Drugs for Cancer.