Health Care Benefits: South Carolina
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Patricia A. Morley, Research and Writing Associates, LLC
- South Carolina chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal in South Carolina. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health plans in South Carolina must include certain maternity and newborn/adopted child coverage. See Maternity and Newborn/Adopted Child Coverage.
- Health plans in South Carolina must provide mental health and drug abuse parity. See Mental Health Parity.
- Health plans that cover mastectomies must also cover certain treatments and reconstructive breast surgery. See Reconstructive Breast Surgery.
- Health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, diseases and services. See Diabetes Coverage; Mammogram and Pap Smear Coverage; Prostate Cancer Screening Coverage.
- Certain coverage for children and dependents must be provided. See Coverage for Children and Dependents.