Health Care Benefits: South Dakota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Patricia A. Morley, Research and Writing Associates, LLC
- South Dakota chose not to establish a state-based Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. See Health Insurance Marketplaces Under the ACA.
- Same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. See Same-Sex Partner Benefits.
- Group health plans in South Dakota must include maternity and newborn/adopted child coverage. See Maternity and Newborn/Adopted Child Coverage.
- Health plans in South Dakota must provide coverage for mental illness and offer coverage for alcohol abuse treatment. See Mental Health and Alcohol Abuse Coverage.
- Group health plans must provide coverage for specified providers. See Coverage for Specified Providers.
- Health plans that cover mastectomies must also cover reconstructive breast surgery. See Reconstructive Breast Surgery.
- Health plans must provide coverage for certain illnesses, diseases and services. See Diabetes Coverage; Mammograms; Prostate Cancer Screening.
- Certain coverage for children and dependents must be provided. See Coverage for Children and Dependents.