HR and Workplace Safety: Michigan
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Leanne Coffman, The Safety Training Solution LLC
- Private and public sector employers in Michigan are under the jurisdiction of the Michigan Safety and Health Administration. See Overview.
- Michigan has additional, state-specific requirements that apply to various hazards in the workplace. See Additional State-Specific Compliance Requirements.
- Michigan has a three-year statute of limitations for individuals to sue for personal injuries. See Statute of Limitations for Toxic Chemicals.
- The state has enacted laws that make texting and driving a primary offense for all drivers, and various cities have banned handheld devices completely. See Driving Policies.
- Michigan does not have specific drug and alcohol testing laws governing private employers. See Drug and Alcohol Testing as a Safety Measure.