HR and Workplace Safety: Oklahoma
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Oklahoma adopted the Occupational Health and Safety Standards Act (OOHSSA), which is similar to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act), but applies only to public employers. See State Specific Safety Laws and Regulations.
- Oklahoma employers may not take an adverse employment action against an employee who reports a safety violation. See Employer Duties and Responsibilities.
- The Commissioner of Labor administers and enforces the provisions of OOHSSA, which includes requiring inspections of workplaces covered by the Act. See Administration and Enforcement.
- Oklahoma offers workplace safety and health consultation programs for both public and private employers. See Workplace Safety and Health Consultation Program for Private Employers.
- Oklahoma has state-wide laws prohibiting distracted driving and texting while driving. See Driving Policies.