Interviewing and Selecting Job Candidates: Colorado
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- The Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act (CADA) is broader than Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act and employers must be aware of its provisions when interviewing and selecting job candidates. See The Application Process.
- Employers should be cautious in asking about arrest records because the Colorado Commission on Civil Rights has said that such questions are discriminatory. See Arrest and Conviction Inquiries.
- Appropriate interview questions are affected by the broader provisions of the CADA. See Appropriate vs. Inappropriate Interview Questions.
- Colorado has a statute governing employer references. See Reference Checks.
- Employers should be aware that the state places limits on seeking access to a job applicant's private social media accounts. See Social Media Privacy.