Involuntary Terminations: South Dakota
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- The standard for determining misconduct justifying a for-cause termination is lower for certain employees than others. See Termination for Cause.
- South Dakota law provides examples of just cause reasons for terminating specific types of workers. See Termination for Cause.
- Employees claiming discrimination have time limits within which they must file claims. See Discrimination Claims Procedure.
- South Dakota prohibits retaliatory terminations under the state's anti-discrimination, wage, labor and workers' compensation laws. See Anti-Retaliation Legislation.
- Some whistleblowers are protected from retaliation. See Whistleblower Protections.