Jury Duty: Massachusetts
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Susan A.P. Woodhouse, Littler
- Employers in Massachusetts must excuse employees from work to serve on a jury. See Employers Obligated to Provide Leave.
- Employees in Massachusetts may take time off from work to serve on a jury. See Employees Qualified for the Leave.
- Employees in Massachusetts must be paid their regular wages for the first three days of jury service. See Compensation During Leave.
- An employer may not terminate or deprive an employee of employment because of jury service. See Prohibited Actions.
- An employer may be required to provide leave for crime victims and victims of abusive behavior to appear in court. See Witness Duty; Domestic Violence Victim Leave.