Legally Required Benefits: District of Columbia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Unemployment insurance provides partial wage replacement to unemployed workers while they conduct an active search for work. Most employers are subject to the District of Columbia Unemployment Compensation Act. See District of Columbia Unemployment Insurance.
- Some individuals may not be eligible to receive unemployment benefits. See District of Columbia Unemployment Insurance.
- There are maximum weekly amounts individuals can receive in unemployment compensation. See Benefits.
- Claimants must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits. See Eligibility.
- Employers must follow certain recordkeeping and posting requirements. See Recordkeeping Requirements; Posting Requirement.