Other Leaves: Massachusetts
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Massachusetts law provides various leaves of absence in addition to those leaves granted by federal law. See Massachusetts - Leaves of Absence.
- In addition to being covered by the federal Family and Medical Leave Act, Massachusetts employees may also be entitled to leave under the Massachusetts Parental Leave Act. See The Massachusetts Parental Leave Act.
- Under the Massachusetts Small Necessities Leave Act, employers that are subject to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) must grant employees who are eligible for FMLA leave a total of 24 hours of unpaid leave during any 12-month period to attend certain activities or appointments. See Small Necessities Leave Act.
- Employers with 50 or more employees must provide up to 15 days off to employees who are victims of abusive behavior or whose family member is a victim of abusive behavior. See Domestic Violence Leave Law.
- Massachusetts employers with 11 or more employees must provide paid sick time, while smaller employers must provide unpaid sick time. See Paid Sick Leave.
- Employers must make reasonable accommodations for the religious needs of employees or prospective employees provided that the accommodation does not pose an undue hardship in the conduct of the employer's business. See Reasonable Accommodation for Religious Purposes.
- Employers in Massachusetts may also be required to provide leave as a reasonable accommodation for a disability. See Reasonable Accommodation for a Disability.
- Massachusetts law provides servicemembers with the same rights and protections afforded by federal law. See Military Leave.
- All employers in Massachusetts must provide jury duty leave to employees. See Jury Duty and Witness Leave.
- A manufacturing, mechanical or mercantile establishment must provide voting leave. See Voting Leave.
- Any employee-veteran who wants to participate in a Veterans Day or Memorial Day exercise, parade or service in their community of residence must be granted a leave of absence to do so. See Veterans/Memorial Day Participation.