Performance Appraisals: Maine
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Glenn Israel, Bernstein Shur, PA
- Maine law recognizes employee claims for defamation. See Defamation.
- Under Maine statutory law, employers who provide job references are presumed to be acting in good faith and are generally immune from civil liability. See Job Reference Immunity.
- The State of Maine prohibits employment discrimination based upon broader categories than those covered by federal law. See Performance Appraisals and Discrimination.
- Maine law prohibits retaliation against employees who engage in protected activities. See Performance Appraisals and Retaliation.
- Maine courts have not directly addressed claims for negligent hiring and retention. See Negligence Claims.