Preemployment Screening and Testing: Indiana
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Employers should be aware that some job applicants may have taken steps to restrict employers from accessing their criminal history. See Criminal History.
- Indiana law generally makes it illegal for employers to refuse to hire applicants whose conviction or arrest records have been eliminated. See Expunged Criminal Records.
- Job applicants for certain occupations in Indiana are required to undergo background checks as a condition of employment. See Mandatory Criminal Background Checks.
- Employers that are parties to public contracts must use the federal E-Verify system when checking a job applicant's work authorization. See E-Verify.
- Employers should take steps to avoid negligent hiring and negligent retention lawsuits. See Negligent Hiring and Retention.