Preemployment Screening and Testing: Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Iowa courts recognize negligent hiring, supervision and retention claims. See Negligent Hiring.
- Employers may access certain criminal history data in Iowa. However, the use of such information in hiring decisions may violate anti-discrimination statutes such as the Iowa Civil Rights Act. See Criminal Records.
- Iowa imposes civil penalties and liability on employers that knowingly hire applicants who are not authorized to be employed in the U.S. or whose documentation is forged. See Immigration Status.
- Various Iowa laws closely regulate the disclosure of medical records, particularly those concerning mental health, AIDS and psychological tests. Medical records also must be kept confidential. See Medical Testing.
- Iowa law specifically addresses genetic testing, drug and alcohol testing, AIDS/HIV testing and polygraph examinations. See AIDS/HIV Testing; Genetic Testing; Drug and Alcohol Testing; Polygraph Tests.