Preemployment Screening and Testing: Missouri
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Karen R. Glickstein, Polsinelli
- Criminal background checks are required in certain home health care and daycare fields. See Background Checks.
- While there is no statewide limitation on criminal history inquiries, one Missouri city places significant restrictions on private employers. See Columbia Ban the Box Law.
- Missouri recognizes a cause of action for negligent hiring. See Negligent Hiring.
- Employers may conduct preemployment drug and alcohol screening in accord with federal law. See Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- There is a mandatory E-Verify requirement affecting public employers in Missouri as well as businesses that contract with the state. See E-Verify.