Preemployment Screening and Testing: Rhode Island
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jessica Sussman
- Rhode Island employers may not inquire about an applicant's arrest record subject to very limited exceptions. See Arrest and Conviction Records.
- Certain types of employers must conduct background checks of job applicants as a condition of employment. See Mandatory Background Checks.
- Employers should be aware that Rhode Island recognizes a cause of action for negligent hiring. See Negligent Hiring.
- Rhode Island law is strict when it comes to regulating drug testing by employers. See Drug Testing.
- The Ocean State bans employers from engaging in certain other preemployment tests. See Genetic Testing.