Public Sector Labor Relations: Illinois
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Illinois public sector employees and their organizing and bargaining rights are covered by the Illinois Public Labor Relations Act. See Public Sector Employees.
- Under some circumstances, Illinois public employers must recognize a union even if an election has not been held. See Union Recognition and the Illinois Card Check Law.
- The Illinois Labor Relations Board (ILRB), comprised of the State Panel and Local Panel, enforces the Public Labor Relations Act. See The Illinois Labor Relations Board.
- The ILRB has authority to investigate unfair labor practices and conduct hearings. See Unfair Labor Practices.
- Some public sector employees have the right to strike if certain conditions are met. See Right to Strike.