Public Sector Labor Relations: Oklahoma
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- The Oklahoma Municipal Employee Collective Bargaining Act, which applied to municipal employers and their employees, was repealed, effective November of 2011. See Oklahoma Municipal Employee Collective Bargaining Act.
- The Fire and Police Arbitration Act governs collective bargaining, unit membership and other important labor relations issues between municipalities and police and fire labor unions. See Police and Firefighters.
- School teachers and employees of schools have the right to organize and collectively bargain. See School Employees.
- Oklahoma recently amended its laws pertaining to the Public Employees Relations Board, which deals primarily with union formation and unfair labor practice charges. See Public Employees Relations Board.
- Public employees in Oklahoma are generally prohibited from striking. See No Right to Strike.