Public Sector Labor Relations: Rhode Island
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- In Rhode Island, municipal employees are allowed to collectively bargain and form unions. See Municipal Employees.
- Police officers are subject to different rights and duties than other public employees. See Police Officers.
- Firefighters may organize and bargain collectively. See Firefighters.
- Teachers in Rhode Island have the right to bargain collectively and form unions. See Teachers.
- Police officers, firefighters, and public health care workers are prohibited from engaging in a strike pursuant to the Rhode Island Labor Relations Act. See Strikes.