Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Gloria Ju
- The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development provides employers with recruitment services, including a job bank. See Methods and Sources.
- Alaska prohibits employers from deceiving an individual into working for them. See False Representations in Recruiting.
- State law prohibiting discrimination applies to all employers regardless of size subject to very limited exceptions. See Alaska Human Rights Law.
- Private employers in Alaska are not required to establish affirmative action programs, but state contractors, executive government agencies and school districts have affirmative action obligations. See Affirmative Action.
- Employers that recruit minors must comply with state child labor laws. See Underage Workers.
- If an employer chooses to recruit an independent contractor instead of an employee, the employer must ensure it understands the differences between the two. See Independent Contractors.