The below content should be reviewed in conjunction with the in-depth federal coverage of this topic provided above.
Author: John Sarno, Employers Association of New Jersey
- Job advertising is strictly governed by the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD). See Job Advertising.
- New Jersey became the first state to ban discrimination in hiring against the unemployed. See Unemployment Status.
- New Jersey law also prohibits employers from refusing to hire smokers unless they have a rational basis for doing so. See Smokers' Rights.
- Like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the LAD requires employers to reasonably accommodate qualified persons with disabilities. See Applicants With Disabilities.
- New Jersey places special restrictions on the recruitment of minors that employers must consider. See Recruiting Underage Workers.