Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Mark Levine, Weycer, Kaplan, Pulaski and Zuber, PC
- The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) created WorkinTexas.com to provide a resource for persons seeking employment and for employers seeking candidates. See Resource for Texas Employers.
- The Texas Commission on Human Rights Act (TCHRA) bans discrimination on the basis of race, color, disability, religion, sex, national origin or age. The Act prohibits any discriminatory inquiry during the interview and selection process. See Texas Commission on Human Rights Act.
- Employers that recruit underage workers must be aware of Texas laws limiting the hours and types of work that such employees may perform. See Recruiting Underage Workers.
- Private employers in Texas may adopt a veterans preference employment policy without violating equal employment opportunity laws. See Veterans Preference.
- Employers should be aware of how Texas defines independent contractor and cautious not to misclassify employees as independent contractors. See Outsourcing and Independent Contractors.