Recruiting: West Virginia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Eric E. Kinder, Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC
- The West Virginia Department of Commerce provides an online resource for employers seeking qualified job candidates. See Methods and Sources.
- The West Virginia Human Rights Act (WVHRA) is the state counterpart to Title Vll of the Civil Rights Act. Unlike Title VII, however, the WVHRA applies to employers with 12 or more employees. See West Virginia Human Rights Act.
- Employers that knowingly recruit and hire unauthorized workers will be subject to fines and other potential penalties. See Undocumented Workers.
- West Virginia imposes specific requirements for the areas in which workers who are minors may be employed. See Underage Workers.
- Employers should be aware that West Virginia is among the states that prohibit discrimination against job applicants and employees based on their off-duty tobacco use. See Smokers' Rights.
- State law permits private employers to grant a veterans preference in hiring. See Veterans Preference.