Strikes, Lockouts and Other "Economic Weapons": Iowa
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) governs strikes by employees of private employers that are covered by the jurisdictional requirements of the NLRA. See Private Sector Employee Strikes.
- Public sector employees may not strike. See Public Sector Employee Strikes.
- Iowa law prohibits unlawful secondary pressure. See Unlawful Secondary Pressure.
- Iowa law prohibits jurisdictional strikes and boycotts. See Jurisdictional Strikes and Boycotts.
- Employers may not knowingly employ professional strikebreakers. Also, advertisements to replace employees involved in a labor dispute must disclose the existence of the dispute. See Professional Strikebreakers and Replacements.