Terms of Employment: District of Columbia
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- Employers must not discriminate against a protected class regarding the terms, conditions, rights and privileges of employment. See Employment Discrimination based on Terms, Conditions, Rights and Privileges.
- Generally, employment relationships in the District of Columbia are terminable at-will. See Employment At-Will.
- Numerous exceptions to the employment at-will rule exist in the District of Columbia. See Exceptions to Employment At-Will.
- Employers and employees may enter into reasonable restrictive covenants in the District of Columbia. See Restrictive Covenants.
- The District of Columbia has adopted the Uniform Trade Secrets Act. See Uniform Trade Secrets Act.