Terms of Employment: Florida
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jolee Land, Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Florida has multiple laws prohibiting discrimination and retaliation in employment decisions, including the Florida Civil Rights Act. See Florida Antidiscrimination and Anti-Retaliation Laws.
- Florida also prohibits employers from making retaliatory employment decisions based on specific employee actions. See Florida Antidiscrimination and Anti-Retaliation Laws; Miscellaneous Florida Anti-Retaliation Statutes.
- Under Florida law, in the absence of a written contract, employment is presumed to be at-will. See Employment At-Will.
- Employment contracts are enforced in Florida and typically contain provisions governing the terms of employment. See Employment Contracts.
- Restrictive covenants, including noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements, that are reasonable in time and scope generally will be enforced. See Restrictive Covenants.