Terms of Employment: Illinois
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- The Illinois Human Rights Act provides broader protection than Title VII. See Illinois Laws Prohibiting Discrimination.
- Illinois is an employment at-will state; however, it recognizes exceptions to the general employment at-will principles. See Employment At-Will.
- Offer letters and employee handbooks may modify the at-will doctrine. See Employment At-Will.
- Illinois enforces restrictive covenants, so long as the agreements are reasonable. See Restrictive Covenants.
- Secret information meeting the requirements of a trade secret under Illinois law may be protected, and employers that have their trade secret information unlawfully acquired may be eligible for certain damages. See Illinois Trade Secret Act.