Terms of Employment: New Hampshire
Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Christine P. Corrigan, CPC Writing Services
- New Hampshire has several laws impacting the terms of employment, including the New Hampshire Law Against Discrimination, which expands the number of protected classes. See Law Against Discrimination.
- New Hampshire law prohibits employers from discriminating against employees or applicants for their use of tobacco outside of the workplace. See Legal Non-Work Activities.
- Under New Hampshire law, in the absence of a written contract, employment is presumed to be at-will. However, New Hampshire law recognizes several exceptions to the at-will doctrine. See Employment At-Will.
- Under New Hampshire law, courts will enforce restrictive covenants if the restraint is reasonable under the particular circumstances. See Restrictive Covenants.
- New Hampshire has adopted the Uniform Trade Secrets Act. See Trade Secrets.