Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
- In addition to the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, Illinois' Service Member's Employment Tenure Act guarantees rights and benefits for eligible servicemembers. See Service Member's Employment Tenure Act.
- Under certain circumstances, employers must provide servicemembers with disabilities the same position, seniority and wage increases as the member's prior position when the servicemember seeks reinstatement of employment. See Service Members With Disabilities.
- There are exceptions when employers are excused from reinstating servicemembers. See Exceptions.
- Employers violating the Service Member's Employment Tenure Act can face civil and criminal penalties. See Penalties.
- When eligible servicemembers request that their future employer provide copies of their offers in writing, the employer must make sure the offer meets the minimum legal requirements. See Copy of Employment Offer.