Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Judson D. Stelter, Frantz Ward LLP
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) is a federal law that provides leave rights for public and private employees with military obligations. Ohio law will apply in instances where it provides greater benefits, protections and/or rights than USERRA. See Private Employers.
- Ohio law expressly adopts the protections to employees provided by USERRA. See Private Employers.
- Students in the Ohio National Guard or active militia also receive certain protections under Ohio law. See Students.
- Public employees in the Ohio National Guard or active militia are entitled to compensation while actively serving in the uniformed services. See Public Employers.
- An employee who is the spouse, parent, or a person, who has or had custody of a member of the uniformed services when that member is deployed or injured, is entitled to two weeks of unpaid leave under certain circumstances. See Ohio Military Family Leave Act.