Federal law and guidance on this subject should be reviewed together with this section.
Author: Jessica Sussman
- Washington's Veterans Employment and Reemployment Act requires all employers (public and private), regardless of size, to grant a leave of absence for military service. See Washington Military Leave.
- Public employees are entitled to additional military leave rights, which include compensation.
- Eligible employees who have a spouse on military leave are entitled to 15 days of unpaid leave. See Military Family Leave.
- Washington State law gives preference for hiring honorably discharged veterans.
- Washington law prohibits discrimination on the basis of veteran or military status only when a discharge has been honorable. See Discrimination Against Veterans.