Are there any format changes to the newest Form I-9?
Yes. The Form I-9 dated 07/17/17 N has some notable changes that were included in the Form I-9 dated 11/14/2016 N. To name just a few, the form has:
- A supplement that allows for the addition of more than one Section 1 Preparer and/or Translator;
- Spaces for the creation of a Quick Response (QR) code to allow the government and employers access to the data on the smart version of the Form I-9; and
- A new field in Section 2 designed to accommodate additional information, such as employment authorization extensions. Previously, an employer was required to record additional information in the margin of the form.
Also, the Form I-9 with a revision date of 07/17/17 N includes the following further changes:
- The USCIS changed the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- The USCIS removed "the end of" from the phrase "the first day of employment."